23/07/2018

NBGG

NATIONAL BOTANICAL GARDEN OF GEORGIA

According to the maps of Tiflis drawn by Vakhushti Batonishvili, dating back to the XVII-XVIII centuries, three

small gardens were laid out in different parts of the present botanical garden that belonged to the kings. The first garden was located in front of the palace in Legvtakhevi, The other one was laid out on the area of the floral-decorative plants of the present Botanical Garden. In the south it was surrounded by the Tabori ridge, adjoined by the Seydabad settlement in the east, and in the north it was bordered by the Tsavkisistskali River.

The third garden, known as the “Fortress”, was located on the right slopes of the north exposition of the Tsavkisistskali (in the vicinities of the waterfall). On May 1, 1845, according to the decree passed by Mikheil Vorontsov, Viceroy of the Caucasus the Royal Botanical Garden was officially renamed “Tbilisi Botanical Garden”. In 2012 the Botanical Garden was conferred national status.

Today the area of the National Botanical Garden of Georgia is 97 hectares. Approximately 40 hectares of land are occupied by plantings, roads and buildings, 58 ha are covered with the natural vegetation. The local flora of the garden is quite richrepresented by 3500 species, varieties and cultivars.

The National Botanical Garden of Georgia is constantly creating collections of exotic and local flora for scientific and educational purposes It carries out conservation of rare and extinct plants of Georgia. The Garden has a Seed Bank that is a member of the global network. Botanical Garden studies the diversity of plants, ecological and plant protection problems. It is an important base of ecological education that promotes environmental awareness of future generations. It is involved in the global, international research projects and is a member of the Botanical Gardens Conservation International (BGCI).

Top